Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Cheesy Chicken & Black Bean Burrito







I'm guilty...I cook the same foods over and over again. I'm trying to be more creative and "different" with my food choices but sometimes it's a better thought than an action.

Anyway! I found this recipe on Pinterest, compliments of http://noblepig.com/2012/05/cheesy-chicken-and-black-bean-burritos/  . I'm not one to typically change a recipe but while I was getting everything prepared my husband made a few suggestions and we went with it. Here is my variation.

Cheesy Chicken & Black Bean Burrito
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 2 cups shredded chicken (I used a roitssery chicken)
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 can black beans-rinsed/drained
  • 1/4 to a 1/2 can chicken broth
  • 1/2 can zesty cheese sauce
  • 10" tortillas
  • lime cilantro rice, recipe follows

Saute onions, add garlic, chicken, cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes & black beans. Add chicken broth to keep mixture wet but not soaked. Cook together until hot. (once the chicken mixture was warm, I put it into a bowl so I could use the same skillet for browning the tortilla)

Brush one side of your tortillas with butter, place butter side down in pan and fill with chicken mixture. Top with desired amount of cheese and (if you'd like) with rice. Fold up burrito and heat in skillet until tortilla is browned. Serve burrito with your favorite fixings. We used sour cream, tomato, lettuce, black olives and taco sauce. You can always serve the lime cilantro rice as a side.

This is was definitely a hit!! It was so good I forgot to take a picture until I was halfway finished with the burrito! I apologize for the poor quality of photo, I quickly used my phone so I could continue chowing down!!

This recipe makes approximately 6 burritos (depending how full you fill them)!. Each of  which are very very filling. I could barely finish mine.





Lime Cilantro Rice   http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lime-cilantro-rice/
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 cup long grain white rice
  • 1 tsp lime zest
  • 2 tbsp lime juice
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Bring water to a boil, stir the butter and rice into water. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until rice is tender. Stir the lime zest, lime juice and cilantro into the cooked rice just before serving. Makes 2 cups of rice.












No comments:

Post a Comment